Post in evidenza

American Carnage: Woman killed family, herself in triple murder-suicide

(KEEGO HARBOR, Mich.) — Autopsies show a suburban Detroit woman fatally shot her husband, son and daughter before killing herself. ...

AddToAny

lunedì 12 dicembre 2016

Suicide bomb attack in Yemen: 50 killed, 70 injured


È stato un massacro l'attentato suicida in una base militare di Aden, città portuale nel sud dello Yemen

Il kamikaze, che indossava una cintura esplosiva, si è fatto saltare in aria in mezzo a centinaia di soldati in coda per la paga. L'attentato non è stato rivendicato ma avrebbe il marchio del ramo yemenita di al-Qaida

The attack happened while soldiers had gathered to receive their salaries at a barracks in the city of Aden, which is controlled by pro-government forces.
Some estimates put the death toll at 50, with as many as 70 injured.
It is not yet clear who carried out the attack but so-called Islamic State (IS) claimed responsibility.
The city has previously been targeted by jihadist groups in the region. In August, a suicide attack claimed by IS killed at least 60 people in the city.
One soldier at the base, Waleed Rashed, told the Associated Press news agency that he had arrived shortly after the attack and had seen private cars take injured people to hospital, before ambulances arrived.
"I could hear the wounded soldiers screaming for help," he said.
Yemen has been in constant conflict since March 2015, as forces allied to the exiled President, Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi, battle the Houthi rebel movement.
Jihadist groups such as the so-called Islamic State and al-Qaeda have taken advantage of the conflict to carve out areas of control in the south of Yemen.
The scale of the humanitarian crisis is enormous - more than three million people have left their homes, and more than half the country's population does not have a secure source of food.
Pro-government forces, backed by a Saudi-led coalition, took control of Aden in the summer of 2015.
Since then, it has suffered a string of bombings which have killed up to several dozen at once.
The UN estimates that 7,270 people, mostly civilians, have been killed since the conflict began.

Yemen suicide bomb kills dozens in payday queue 10 December 2016



CAIRO (AP) — Human Rights Watch on Thursday called for an arms embargo on Saudi Arabia over the war in Yemen, and said the United States might be complicit in "atrocities" by supplying bombs.
The New York-based group said more than 160 people were killed in one month, mostly by U.S. bombs sold to the Saudi-led coalition battling Yemen's Houthi rebels. It said the U.S. arms were supplied after earlier violations had been publicized, and were used in airstrikes in September and October.
"The Obama administration is running out of time to completely suspend U.S. arms sales to Saudi Arabia or be forever linked to Yemen wartime atrocities," Human Rights Watch researcher Priyanka Motaparthy said.
A Saudi-led coalition supported by the United States launched an air campaign on behalf of Yemen's internationally recognized government in March 2015. The year before, the Houthis had seized much of northern Yemen, including the capital, Sanaa.
More than 4,000 civilians have been killed in the conflict, and some 3 million have been displaced. The fighting, along with an air and sea blockade by the coalition, has pushed the Arab world's poorest country to the brink of famine.
Rights groups have investigated dozens of airstrikes that targeted weddings, busy markets, hospitals, and schools. They have accused the coalition of committing war crimes and called for an international investigation.
The Human Rights Watch report released Thursday included findings from an investigation into an air raid in Arhab, a town north of Sanaa, on Sept. 10 that killed 31 civilians, including several first responders, and wounded more than 40.
HRW said fragments of the weapons used in the attack show they were produced in the U.S. in October 2015, after several rights groups had already reported alleged violations.
Ten days later, warplanes struck a three-story house near a funeral, killing more than 28 civilians and wounding 32 in the Red Sea port city of Hodeida, the group said.
"Governments selling weapons to Saudi Arabia cannot with any credibility rely on either coalition or Yemeni-led investigations to determine whether these weapons are being used against civilians," Motaparthy said. "The U.S., U.K., and others selling weapons to Saudi Arabia should suspend these sales until unlawful attacks are curtailed and properly investigated."
To Learn More:

Human Rights Group Says U.S. May be Complicit in Yemen “Atrocities” Maggie Michael, Associated Press December 11, 2016

Yemen: US-Made Bombs Used in Unlawful Airstrikes DECEMBER 8, 2016



The Obama administration ordered a review following the October bombing of a funeral hall in Yemen that killed 140 


U.S. halts some Saudi arms sales over Yemen deaths concerns JOSH LEDERMAN, ASSOCIATED PRESS  DEC 13, 2016

The ‘Yemen Files’ NOVEMBER 26, 2016


Yemenis starving to death as world ‘turns blind eye’ DECEMBER 9, 2016


Two baby suicide bombers, 16 killed in NIgeria 11 DICEMBRE 2016

Ti piace?

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...